Thursday, May 20, 2010

Be Careful When You Hit That 'Send' Button...

So my good friend Eileen and I have this running joke where we say to each other (in our ditziest Valley Girl voices):

"Can you believe I am going to be a doctor??" and then we giggle in a very ditzy Valley Girl type way.

We've been seriously hitting the books lately, so Eileen and I take weekly turns being each others 'Med School Cheerleader'. I informed her that this week it was her turn to keep me motivated so she emailed me this (heavily photoshopped photo) of myself with the caption, "Can you believe *I* am going to be a doctor??" and reminded me (in the subject heading) that if I quit I'd never be able to utter those words.

Last night during a study session I emailed it to all who were present so they could see Eileen's handiwork. George received it and had a good chuckle but for some reason Ryan didn't receive it. George then pointed out that in the group email I had sent it to a "Mrs. Jane Ryan" instead of my study buddy Ryan.

Panic.

Fear.

Who the HELL is this 'Jane Ryan' person? DAMN YOU AUTO COMPLETE!!!!!!

An adrenaline fueled search of my account showed one lonely email from this woman many years ago. 

Turns out, she was a nurse that I worked up North with in 2006. I have no recollection whatsoever of her but was mortified nonetheless.

Suppose it could have been worse. It could have been the Dean of Medicine. Or one of my employers. Or former employers. Or professional contacts.

Note to self: double check 'to' field before hitting 'send' button EVERY TIME!

*facepalm*

8 comments:

Josiah O. Morris said...

If it's any consolation, receiving such an email in error would likely be the highlight of my day. haha

Albinoblackbear said...

Hahha, noted.

I don't think it was appreciated by the receiver though!

At least now any temptation I might have had to go blonde someday has been completely killed!

Medical Mojave said...

Oh that was funny. Bet she won't be inspired to email you ever again.

I have to say that corporate America trained me to be very very cautious about email. Never mis-sent an email in 15 years.

But, when I joined Facebook? I spammed everyone in my email address book because Facebook is like stealth ninja spamware.

I asked my former boss to 'friend' me. *mortification*

M

Albinoblackbear said...

POP--Yes, FB *is* ninja spyware and I am sure I did the same in the early days of being on it.

My ex-boyfriends mother (from about 7 years ago) just friend requested me a few weeks ago. I am sure she made the same mistake. I accepted anyway. I kinda want to get her brisket recipe someday...

I haven't received any reply from the rogue email but if I do I will naturally explain and apologize for my completely obnoxious attachment!! ;)

Nerd_Alert said...

Gmail's "mail goggles" are your friend. Also the "Got the wrong Bob?" lab.

Grumpy, M.D. said...

That's some serious megalocephaly and buccinator spasms you got there.

Albinoblackbear said...

Thanks Nerd! Another reason to only use gmail (it was sent from my yahoo account). Gotta love the blogosphere...when you post about an issue inevitably someone out there has a suggestion.

Grump--I would almost take the megalocephaly if it came with the navel!

Maha said...

Confession time - I recently met up with my cousin who has been living in the UK for the past 11 months. He's a cool guy but can turn into a pretentious snit sometimes. Anyways we went out for lunch and he developed an obviously fake English accent. I was trying to be polite so I didn't say anything but I kept randomly giggling throughout our lunch. Later on my sister texted me to ask how lunch was going but I decided to text her back later. Her name is VERY similar in spelling to our cousin's name. Instead to using the reply button, I started a new text and the name automatically popped up. I wrote "Great lunch, interesting accent" and hit send. To my cousin!

Ooops :S